EFA is available to domestic violence and sexual assault survivors from all Tennessee counties. The purpose of the fund is to help survivors who are fleeing violence or in the process of establishing new safe homes. Additionally, funds may be used to help survivors who have lost income due to COVID-19 or need help with rent, mortgage, hotel costs, and utilities.
Only specific expenses are permitted by this fund.
The Coalition accepts applications for emergency assistance from:
- Domestic violence and sexual assault survivors
- Advocates at shelters or programs who are assisting survivors
If you are a survivor who has not yet been in contact with a domestic violence shelter or rape crisis center, please let us know and we will connect you to the program in your area. The program can provide you with a full range of needed services, including assistance with establishing a safe and sustainable housing option.
a) You or the advocate who is assisting you must provide a narrative description of your situation and the need for emergency financial assistance.
b) Priority will be given to applications that demonstrate financial need, safety concerns, and lack of local funding sources available to assist the applicant.
c) If this request is COVID related, please attach proof of employment prior to March 31, 2020 and proof of employment loss or wage loss. If documentation cannot be provided, please continue to complete and submit the application and a Coalition staff member will get in touch with you.
*Additionally, funds may be used to help survivors who have lost income due to COVID-19 or need help with rent, mortgage, hotel costs, and utilities.
d) Please attach supporting documentation for all rent and utility requests. The Coalition requires either a lease agreement, account contract, or current bill reflecting the requested need.
e) TN Coalition Emergency Assistance Fund is considered a fund of last resort and must be used as such. If you need help finding other financial assistance options, please give our office a call at (615) 386-9406. If you have already applied for assistance from other organizations, please list those on your application.
f) If you prefer to submit a paper application, the application can be found here. Please submit the downloadable application to email@example.com along with supporting documentation.
Funding and Reporting Procedures:
a) The Tennessee Coalition is sensitive to the emergent needs of survivors and aims to respond to applications within 1-2 days of submission. During periods when we receive a large number of applications, however, response times may be longer.
b) Payments cannot be made directly to applicants; they are made to vendors or to member programs that are working with survivors. Funds may be made available immediately, or may need to be submitted on a reimbursement basis depending on time constraints. Invoices and receipts will be needed for payment.
c) If the Tennessee Coalition grants you emergency assistance, we will follow-up with you by phone 1-2 months after to check on your safety.
A Note About Greyhound Bus Ticket Requests:
- If you need a Greyhound bus ticket, please submit the Emergency Financial Assistance application with an estimate of the ticket cost. Once you have received preliminary approval from the Tennessee Coalition, have your advocate at the shelter or domestic violence program purchase your ticket and we will reimburse the program for the cost of the ticket (a final ticket receipt must be provided).
- If the program cannot purchase the bus ticket on your behalf, the program can request help with this process from the Tennessee Coalition.
Greyhound Bus Ticket Purchasing Tips:
- Choose a bus itinerary in advance – this will expedite the ordering process.
- Order the tickets online to be picked up at will call for the survivor.
- Provide the survivor with a password to pick up the tickets at the ticket counter at least one hour prior to departure.
- Passengers can carry on 1 bag and check up to 2 bags in the baggage compartment (the first checked bag is free, the second is $15).
- Tickets are non-refundable.